The Bridge has been used for many years as a great exercise for supporting the back and working the thighs at the same time. We love using it as Therapyroom1 for patients with pregnancy as it has an amazing effect when helping with conditions such as SPD. If you suffer from this try it and give us feed back on how it was for you…
In this exercise the open leg position is fantastic as your back takes a lot of baby pressure and gives a lot of aching with stiffness in return. Not only is the spine and muscles connected being mobilised but we are also stretching the hip flexors, the quads and the abdominals as well. The end result will be that your back will feel a whole lot less painful.
Equipment: Floor Mat
- Lay on your back with your legs out straight.
- Bend your knees, bringing your heel towards your bottom, keeping your feet flat onto the floor.
- Place your hands palm down by your side.
- Open your legs so that your feet a slightly wider than your hips.
- Inhale and bring your bottom up off the floor, push up as high as you can.
- As you inhale and raise your butt off the floor squeeze your butt cheeks together as tight as you can.
- Exhale and lower your bottom to the floor (relax your butt as you come down).
- (Try to bring your bum, hips and higher than your chest height)
- Now pump it and repeat!
Note that this is a fast exercise where you are stretching your lower back, your hips, your thighs and your chest all in once smooth motion
Advancement of Exercise
See the on legged version of this exercise, you will love it and get an amazing workout too…
Note://Although these exercises are designed for you to help yourself, we urge caution in all rehabilitation that you do not over do this exercise. If you feel pain or are worried that you are not doing this exercise correctly then call 01522 511834 and make an appointment to get an examination, diagnosis and treatment from one of our highly trained practitioners.